Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Grilling, Chitchatting, and Filming: The (Late) Memorial Day Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday:

I got off work, went to the comic book store, and pretty sang some karaoke at Jordan's.

Saturday:

I got off work, dropped off my coworker "Uncle" Marvin Skinner, and hung out for a bit. I went to Perkins and ate a little lunch, then I saw "Pirates of the Carribean". It had some good moments, but it was very convoluted. There was just too much going on, too many subplots. I think it's time to let that franchise sail off into the sunset. Johnny Depp was still good as Jack Sparrow. After that, I went back to Comics and Collectibles (www.memphiscomics.com) and bought my friend Shomari a birthday present. He's into comics, so I bought him a comic book. I know, pure genius on my part. Next, I went to Carrabbas on Poplar for Shomari's birthday dinner. Shout out to Denna Greer (What Goes Around), Jamaica, Mario, Shomari Gant, Terra Hollis, Terrance, his girlfriend Jill, and superproducer/CEO of WestPoint Records, Paul "P-Dub" West. The food was good, but a little pricey for me before the 31, if you know what I mean. I had spaghetti and water. After that, I went to Jordan's and sang some karaoke yet again. It was Jordan's one-year anniversary. I performed a little Jay-Z ("Girls, Girls, Girls"), some Fergie and Ludacris (with my girl Sharon), some Kanye West ("Gold Digger"), and Rickie and I performed "Regulate" by Nate Dogg and Warren G. A good time was had by all.

Sunday:

I went to a cookout at the home of Chris McCoy and Laura Hocking-McCoy, the husband and wife team behind Eat, another of the many films that I am in. I said many, not all, for any wiseguys out there. I ran into a few Eat castmembers. One woman was in a dance recital, and another woman was getting ready for a production of Big River, the Huck Finn musical. I also ran into Location Scouting Guru David Merrill, some nice females who came with him, and a guy from Puerto Rico named Diego. I also talked to Talbot Fields (Eat) and his wife, and I talked to Adam and Melissa Remsen. They asked me to be an extra in their short. I told him how Markus Seaberry (yes, I refer to myself in the third person) is trying to move away from unpaid extra work, but I'd think about it. Later, some other waiters that Chris and Laura knew came by, and we discussed race, politics, and...cleavage. Hey, we cover all the bases! I didn't leave until three in the morning. It was cool.


Monday:

I went to Shoney's around 5 PM ( I was tired) and I got a call from Jon Sparks (www.jonwsparks.blogspot.com). He asked me to lay down some vocals for my part in his short for the next Lil' Film Fest. I went over his house, spoke to the lovely and beautigul Mrs. Sparks, and recorded my vocals. Lavita Brooks (Katrina's Wake, Just the Two of Us) also came through to record her vocals. I don't want to give it away, but this short will be very clever. After that, I went over to the Remsen's house to be an extra in Melissa's film. Yes, I broke my new rule. I had fun, though. I met some new people. Laura Hocking-McCoy and Chris McCoy were also there to be extras, as was my nemesis Brett Magdovitz (Dollars and Signs, Eat). Brett used to hold the record for most film appearances in Indie Memphis with 5 in one festival, but I obliterated that record with 8 last year. I will never relinquish my throne, Magdovitz!!! We had fun, we all had fake ego trips, demanding stand-ins and lattes and other things. It was cool. Jeff Pope (Black Snake Moan, Hustle and Flow) showed up late, but Pope's cool with me. After that, I called it a day.

Tonight, I plan to actually shoot my part in Sparky's short. That will make three shorts with me in them at the Lil'Film Fest, with a possible fourth on the horizon. Once again, it is good to be the King...Indie, that is. Be easy, readers!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home