Monday, March 28, 2005

A View at the Movies: Guess Who?

On Friday, I saw Guess Who? The premise is that Ashton Kutcher (That 70's Show) and Zoe Saldana (Pirates of the Caribbean) are an interracial couple who are engaged. Saldana's character decides to announce their engagement at her parents' renewing of their vows. This will also be the first time that her family has met her Caucasian boyfriend. She did not mention his ethnicity to her parents, either. Bernie Mac plays Saldana's father. Of course, they get off on the wrong foot. Mac uncovers secrets about him and gets in trouble with his wife, Kutcher's character is also in hot water. There is a lot of comedy and a lot of conflict. My favorite scene would have to be a family dinner where Bernie Mac and his father(Hal Williams of TV's 227) ask him to tell any Black jokes that he knows. It starts out funny, but gets tense very fast. Niecy Nash of Reno 911 is also hilarious as a friend of the family. It took me a while to warm up to this movie because of my current frustrations in the love department and my lack of success with parents (mainly female) but I have to admit that it was funny. I guess my only complaint was that everything worked out perfectly, but that's the Hollywood way, I guess. Guess Who? also has the obligatory wedding dance scenes which Mac and Kutcher accentuate with their comedic timing. Overall, I give Guess Who? 3.5 stars. The theater that I saw it in, however, also gets a review. A very negative review. While viewing this movie at the Palace, (Old Summer Road, Memphis, TN) the projector got off track twice. Since the projector was running automatically, we had to deal with these complaints for long periods of time. More importantly, the Palace has a history of projector problems. I am sick of that place. They need to get their act together. The Palace gets 1 star. They stink. They need to close down and discuss a new strategy. Please.

P.S. To add more fuel to the fire of my internet "beef" with blacksupervillain.blogspot.com, all I have to say is Augustus Q. Fro still wears pajamas with footies and a trap door on them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home