Monday, September 08, 2008

Goodbyes, Discussions, and Football: The Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday:

I went to Comics and Collectibles, chitchatted with C&C employee Donnie, and then I went ti Ubees for my buddy Paul Briggs' going-away party. He is the new director of Football Video at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia. "Angry" Nick Jones, my buddy Denna Greer, and others came out, like Pastor Walker and his brother Doug, and Paul's friends Shaunta and Juwanda. Some of us took place in trivia night. My team won a $10 gift certificate, which I still have. Paul was supposed to DJ for a few hours, but the place was double-booked. The other guys were very rude and would not compromise. Eventually, we gave up and left. Some of us went to the Perkins on Poplar and hung out there. I will miss Paul a lot. He is one of my few friends that I met in college that was still in Memphis, and now he is gone.

Saturday:

I went back to Comics and Collectibles for a podcast. When I got there, Justin Vactor, Willie Gilless, Ben Songer, and Kevin Coll were finishing up the Entertainment Oveload Podcast(www.eopodcast.com). Kevin left, and Chris Eaton and I participated in the Geekland Podcast(www.geeklandpodast.com). It was a cool episode, I reviewed a few books, and we all talked about our top five books that we are currently reading. Afterwards, we went to Buffalo Wild Wings on Poplar. After that, I went to TCBY by myself, ate some frozen yogurt, and read Sidescrollers, a pretty cool graphic novel that Justin let me borrow. After that, I went to McAllisters. I wasn't trying to keep eating, I just needed places to hang out. Rod Pitts called me, and we wound up going to the National Civil Rights Museum, where actor/filmmake Phil Darius Wallace presented a one-man play about Richard Wright. I've seen his one-man play about Frederick Douglass. Darius is awesome. I have yet to be a lead in a film, let alone perform a one-act play. Theatre is REAL acting to me, there are no second takes. If you mess up, you have to keep going. Rod stayed around to meet with Darius. He told me that he plans to work on some shorts soon. I told him that I missed playing my character The Film Geek from his first feature film, What Goes Around. He said that he wanted to revisit that character as well. Hopefully, we will. I really wanted to go to the hip-hop show that I posted in my blog on Friday, but I was too tired at this point. My apologies to the Iron Mic Coalition (IMC) and the Tunnel Clones. I hope you guys had a great show. Next time, my friends, next time.

Sunday:

I hung out around the house, and watched the Tennesse Titans' first game of the season. We beat the Jacksonville Jaguars 17-10. Our offense is weak, and our quarterback (Vince Young)was not accurate yesterday. Our defense is awesome, and we have this rookie running back, Chris Johnson, who could be the future of our franchise. This dude's speed is insane!! Young was injured, but hopefully, he'll be back Sunday. I don't know, the way he's been passing, I'd rather have the backup quarterback. Anyway, this was a win over a potential playoff team. Go Titans!!

After the game, I went to the movies and saw Vicky Christina Barcelona . It was my first time watching a Woody Allen film. Basically, Vicky and Christina are two friends who vacaton in Barcelona and become involved romantically with an artist played by Javier Bardem(No Country for Old Men). It was okay, but the last act seemed a little overly sensationalized, and the ending was sad.

After that, I went over my friend Shomari's house and watched a WWE pay-per-view. It was cool. Shomari and I also talked comics.

This Saturday, I should be working on two films (hopefully). It may be tiring, but hey, its' a good problem to have. Be easy, readers!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home