Monday, December 22, 2008

Shopping, Obnoxiousness, and a Good Movie:The Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday:

I got off work, got my hair cut, and I called my buddy Rod Pitts who is in the hospital (www.saverodpitts.blogspot.com). He was sleeping, so I decided to try to visit him on Saturday. I bought a cool used DVD at Hastings for $13.49. I bought PWG Sells Out,a DVD about a good independent wrestling organization called Pro Wrestling Guerilla(www.prowrestlingguerilla.com). They have matches out in California, and they have very funny segments and characters on their shows. I also bought a used graphic novel. It was a Catwoman story entitled Selina's Big Score . That graphic novel ruled!!

Saturday:

I got off work, and my plans for podcasting were cancelled because my buddy Justin Vactor was sick. Still, feel free to listen to previous podcasts at www.geeklandpodcast.com and at www.fusedfilm.com. Me and my fellow podcasting and interwebbing brethern would greatly appreciate it. I called Rod, but he was giving blood. I went home, fell asleep for a few hours, and then I FINALLY finished watching the three-disc wrestling DVD set Rey Mysterio: The Littlest Big Man . I kept watching it inbetween watching things on the DVR. It was cool,I'm glad I finished it.

Sunday:

I called Rod, but he was asleep. I called my cousin Kaci to get my cousin Cameron's new room number at St. Jude, but I got now answer. I decided to go to Comics & Collectibles and get some old 50 cent comics. I chitchatted with the owner C&C, Ron, and I also chatted up longtime store employee Brian. Check them out at www.memphiscomics.com.

Later, I went to a Blockbuster near them on Poplar in the 4000 block. They had 50% off previously viewed DVDs. I decided to purchase Be Kind, Rewind. They also had a sign that said certain DVDs were 2 for $15, or one for $7.99. I picked up House Party 3 from this stack. However, when I get up there, the employee refused to give me the discount for the House Party 3. His manager joined in with him. His manager was being a jerk, and to make it worse, I think I worked with him on a movie before. I saw no signs that said I couldn't take advantage of both deals. I just left both DVDs there. I was angry, but I kept my cool until I left the store. Some people, I tell you. That Blockbuster just lost my business for a while.

Next, I went to TCBY for some frozen yogurt goodness (yay!!), then I went to the Ridgeway Four to watch Slumdog Millionaire. This film was directed by Danny Boyle, who directed Trainspotting and 28 Days Later. A boy from the slums of India is winning big on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and is suspected of cheating. While being interrogated by the police, he explains the events in his life that caused him to know the answers. It is a great, clever movie. It is a very enjoyable underdog tale. This is my favorite film of 2008. I really hope this film does well at the Oscars. Here is a synopsis of the film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slumdog_Millionaire I will give it 5 stars on flixster.com. Look for a review soon.

Later, I stopped at the Blockbuster Video in Poplar Plaza. I did not find Be Kind Rewind, but I did find another previously viewed film that will be Rod Pitts' replacement Christmas gift. His original gift, Blackula on DVD, was an Ebay purchase that may not get here until after Christmas. Later, I went to the Blockbuster on Germantown Parkway. There, I found Be Kind Rewind and bought it used for about $5, as well as Romance and Cigarettes. This is a musical directed by John Turturro (Transformers, Do the Right Thing). It stars Kate Winslet, James Gandolfini, and others. It cost me a little over $3 used. I decided to roll the dice. Finally, I got some groceries at Wal-Mart and headed home.

I would like to take this moment to wish everyone a happy, safe and joyous holiday season. PLEASE don't eat too much (myself included), and appreciate your friends and family. You never know how much long people will be in your lives, so treasure every moment. Be easy, readers!!! And God bless us every one!!!

1 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Ryan said...

Next time you should go to Hastings off of Germantown pkwy next to incredible pizza. I go in there daily now and they have crazy deals every time. There video department is huge and they have the largest selection of used and previously viewed dvds i have ever seen. Oh yeah and they are all buy one get one for a dollar. same goes for their used music. I think the books and games are buy 2 get the 3rd for a dollar. Anyways, I just thought i would share that since you had a not so great experience at Blockbuster.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home