Monday, March 16, 2009

Reality TV: The New Blackface? (livefrommemphis.com)

As a pop culture geek, I tend to watch large amounts of television. Like most people, I have found myself drawn to a few reality shows. I realize that a lot of the outcomes on these shows are staged, and that their main goal is entertainment. But the images of African-Americans presented on several of these shows began to bother me. I feel that several of the reality shows, particularly those on VH1, have crossed the line from entertainment into mockery and blatant stereotyping.

To read the rest, go to:

http://livefrommemphis.com/blog/ageekandhisblog/463-reality-tv-the-new-blackface

1 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Tom Guleff said...

Reality TV programs are filled from those that show up at a casting call (send us your tape and head shot). The producers select the type of "players" in the reality show. Big Brother is a great example. The producers select those players that will produce the most "drama" in the house. No drama, no viewers. No viewers, no advertisers. No advertisers, no paycheck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home