Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Roasts, Parties, Birthdays and More: The Weekend and Some Change Wrap-Up

Friday:

I returned to work after the Indie Memphis fun (BOOOOO!), went home, took a nap, dropped off my headshots with Kinkos, Let Keenon Nikita borrow my Kanye West "Late Registration" album and my Jay-Z concert DVD "Fade to Black" (I'm such a good friend), and retuned to Kinkos to get my headshots.

Later, I went to see The Grudge 2. Oh, how that movie sucked!!! But, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Amber Tamblyn are kinda hot, so I survived it. After that, I went to a goodbye roast for filmmaker/actor Bevan Bell (Delusions, Divine Manipulation of the Threads). The film community decided to get all our last jokes in at his expense before he joins his longtime girlfriend Christine Connolly (formerly of News 3) in San Francisco. I bought him the new Beck CD. He said he wanted it, so I got it. It was cool to see people I hadn't seen in a minute, like Dedrick Bullard (Eat), Tiffany Pemberton (Delusions), Dayna Hinkel (Delusions, Divine Manipulations), and filmmaker Arnold Edwards II (Curbside Confessions). Good luck, Bevan. God willing, we will work again. I appreciate your honesty and genuine enthusiasm. It is a rare commodity in this superficial field that we aspire to be a part of.

Saturday:

Went to work (GGGGRRRRR!), got off, ran some errands, took a quick nap, went to Casa Mexicano to celebrate up and coming producer Paul "P-Dub" West's birthday. My crew was there: Shomari Gant, Donovan, "Angry" Nick Jones, Shanika, Terra, Denna Greer (What Goes Around), and others. I gave Paul the Shaun of the Dead DVD. It was a movie that I had seen with him and his sweetie, Denna (They didn't mind the third wheel). We ate good Mexican food, shot the breeze, and kicked it. I cut out early to go to Arnold Edwards II's Halloween party. I came, I saw, I played corny Halloween-style Survivor games. Shout out to Dedrick Bullard for the Lex Luthor outfit, complete with a piece of Kryptonite. How's that for authenticity?! I also talked film and acting with Shaun Green and Bevan Bell, it was a cool event. I also wound up bobbing for a game piece in flour and came up looking like a coked-out Al Pacino in Scarface. I'll treasure the memories forever, hearts, stars, clovers, warm fuzzies, and all that.

Sunday:

Went to Jordan's for karaoke (of course). My first song was Soul For Real's "Every Little Thing I Do". They were a short-lived 90s R&B group. Google 'em!!! Next, the Bust Boy (a good friend of mine) and I tackled Dr. Dre and Eminem's "Forgot About Dre". Man, that song is fast!!!! Next, I tackled Busta Rhyme's "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Could See". Man, that song is fast!!!! I ended with Alicia Keys' "Diary". That song rocks!!!! Alicia is de troof!!!! (the truth)
Then, I went over my boy Shomari's house and watched a wrestling pay-per-view, Total Nonstop Action, or TNA. Shout out to born-again wrestler Sting for defeating Tennessee's own Jeff Jarrett and winning the NWA/TNA title. I've been a Sting fan since I was a youngun. Memories in the corner of my mind and all that. I returned to Jordan's and performed "Harder to Breathe" by Maroon 5.

Monday:

I returned to Jordan's and sang two songs: Color Me Badd's "I Wanna Sex You Up" and New Kids on the Block's "Hanging Tough". Everybody wants to act like they're all mature and weren't bumping NKOTB and CMB back in the day. Don't be ashamed, in everyone's record collection, a little cheese must fall. I still own an MC Hammer CD. Yeah, I said it, I ain't ashamed....much. Shout out to Candace and her boyfriend, Mr. and Mrs. Jordan (the owners), Amy who ran karakoke (KJing, as they call it), and everybody else who let me get my 90s Caucasian singing groups fix.

Tuesday:

On my dinner break, I went to Spin Street to support my boy Cayerio's album release party for his EP, Cornbread and Music. They actually had cornbread. It was crazy!!! Cayerio is a spiritual MC, meaning his lyrics are more God than green, more biblical than bling (hey, that rhymed!!!). I also got his last album, The Dirty South Detergent. Cornbread and Music is on sale now for $7.99 at Spin Street at the corner of Poplar and Highland, Memphis, Tennessee. Support positive music, people!!! Cayerio's myspace is www.myspace.com/cayerio.

Be easy, readers.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home