Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Minstrel Show Goes Primetime: Three Six Mafia on MTV

Okay, I have to speak on this crap. I have tried to hold my peace, but the ignorance about to be unleashed upon the world by Memphis rappers is making me nauseous. Three Six Mafia has a new reality show premiering tonight on MTV called "Adventures in Hollyhood". From what little I have seen of the show, it looks stupid. I beg people, especially Memphians, to not support this garbage.
First of all, has everybody forgotten that these guys used to call themselves Triple Six Mafia? That's demonic, hello!!! I may not be a perfect Christian, but I definitely take issue with people who identify themselves with demonic symbols. That's just creepy. Secondly, as a Memphian and a fan of intelligent hip-hop, I find these fools disgusting, deplorable, and sickening. It was bad enough when these clowns were nominated for an Oscar for that great (I'm being sarcastic) song "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp". There is already a preconceived notion to the outside world that Memphis is full of country bumpkins and unintelligent hicks. There is already a perception that Memphis hip-hop consists of songs about chains, "sizzurp", "gettin' crunk", and other materialistic, misogynistic foolishness. For those of you who may be reading this blog that have never been to Memphis, no, we don't all ride around on rims and sip "sizzurp" and wear ignorant metal mouthpieces, or "grills". Also, there are actually hip-hop groups in Memphis with something to say, like the Iron Mic Coaliton (www.myspace.com/ironmiccoalition), Ptah Maximus (www.myspace.com/ptahmaximus), Cosmo(www.myspace.com/cosmomusic), Tunnel Clones (www.myspace.com/tunnelclones), Poisonous Dialect (www.myspace.com/poisondie). Memphis also still has some very soulful singers as well, like Men-Nefer (www.myspace.com/mennefer) and up-and-coming male vocalist Thomas Spurlock (www.myspace.com/spurlockboy). However, the real artistry and creativity in Memphis is confined to word-of-mouth and small venues, while these "coons" get on MTV. It is a travesty of justice of the highest order.

I know many may feel that it is just entertainment, but I disagree. These Three Six gentlement promote negative images and morals. Do you really want the little kids out there seeing these "gentlemen" (I use the term very loosely) parade around Hollywood with their Oscar like it is a member of their entourage? Oh, wait a minut, I almost forgot: You can also see their assistant urinate on Jennifer Love Hewitt's lawn. That's great television!!! I thought that the Viacom networks couldn't sink any lower with their jigaboo dating shows "Flavor of Love" and "I Love New York" on VH1, now here comes "Adventures in Hollyhood" on MTV. To make matters even worse, the Commercial Appeal and local news outlets are doing stories on this mindless showcase of bufoonery.

I know many people will take my views as "hating", and will probably watch the show in record numbers. I felt compelled to say something, if only in support of the true artists and musicians in Memphis. While it may be "Hard Out Here For a Pimp", it seems to be even harder for a recording artist from Memphis that actually has something meaningful to contribute to find an audience, both in this city and across this nation. Of course, if our "favorite sons" Three Six Mafia have their way, the whole world will be gettin' crunk and keeping it "Dough Boy Fresh". Heaven help us all. Be easy, readers...and remember, whether it's in blackface or brown skin, it's still easy to spot a minstrel show. Wait, what's that sound I hear? It's the spirits of my ancestors weeping for our future generations.

1 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to everything u said. I saw this madness on tv yesterday and I was in shock. A modern day minstrel indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home