Monday, December 10, 2007

Protests, Movies, and Filming:The Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday:

I got off work, went to Jordan's, and sang karaoke. The karoke host (KJ) David H and I were singing 80s songs. He sang "Your Kiss Is On My List" and "Hold Me Now" by the Thompson Twins and we dueted on Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf". I sang "Wishing Well" by Terrence Trent D'arby and another 80s song that escapes my memory now. It was fun.

Saturday:

I took part in a march from Clayborn Temple to the National Civil Rights Museum. We were marching for diversity on the National Civil Rights Board. We want people of all races and backgrounds represented. It was cool. We were singing spirituals and protest songs and chanting. We had a program at the Civil Rights Museum. Marion Barry spoke, as did others. Shout out to Action News 5, who were first on the scene. Shout out to the guy from Fox 13 who videotaped the sign someone gave me a few times. It said "Our History Not For Sale". He also videotaped my black t-shirt with Martin Luther King on it. So often in life, we see the ugly, dark side of humanity. It was good to see human beings of different ethnicities and stations uniting for a worthy cause. Shout out to Steve Fox, student/poet/rapper, who was in attendance. He says that he's working on some new music with his producer Memphis Boy (www.myspace.com/memphisboyproductions). It should be good.

After that, I went to Peabody Place and went to the movies. I saw Beowulf. It looked cool, but the actual movie was kind of silly to me. I didn't really care for it.

I hung out downtown for a few more hours until it was time for a party at Chris McCoy and Laura Hocking-McCoy's house in midtown. There was good food and good conversation. The conversation got political, but most people had the same views. It was a good party. Craig Brewer and his beautiful wife (who is 7 months pregnant) also came through. I was a little tired, so I left around 1 AM.

Sunday:

I was prepared to lounge around most of the day. Around 5 PM, filmmaker Rod Pitts informed me that Keenon Nikita (director, Just the Two of Us) needed my help in shooting some footage of people outside the R. Kelly concert. I met Keenon and his daughter Ashely down there and we shot some background footage to be used for another one of Keenon's projects. We also met a starving artist type, a guitar player. The man had four strings on his guitar (they usually have six) but he played a and sang a very moving version of "Redemption Song". We also shot some footage of Keenon's daughter, Ashley, singing.

After that, I went back to my side of town. I ate at the Dixie Cafe in Bartlett, then I saw Feel the Noise at the Bartlett 10, the discount ($2.50) movie theater. I normally like cheesy dance movies, but this was more of a cheesy reggaeton movie. Reggaeton is like a combination of hip-hop, Spanish, and Jamaican influences. The movie had some good points, but it was kind of silly. I have not enjoyed most of the movies that I have watched lately. Maybe I'll make a better choice next week.

I am looking forward to the Lil' Film Fest this weekend. I am in two short films. Hopefully, one of them will win. Then, I will have one film guaranteed to be in next year's Indie Memphis Film Fest. That is MY festival. I have to have a good showing. Be easy, readers!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home