Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Giant Monsters, Football, and Duets: The Extra-Long Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday:

I got off work, came home, and chilled out.

Saturday:

I got my hair cut, went to the comic book store, and then to my cousin Gloria's house. We celebrated her birthday. Shout out to my parents, my brother, my cousin Kaci, her husband Cedric, their kids, and everybody else who attended. Next, my good buddy Bryan Newcomb and I saw Cloverfield, the new monster movie out. It was okay to me. I didn't like the jumpy camera style (Too Blair Witch), I didn't like the end, and they never said where the darn creature came from. However, it made $41 million. I guess enough people liked it. Next, we went to Perkins, then we called it a night. I was tired, so I missed the hip-hop show. My apologies to local hip-hop group MOS (Masters of Sound) and rapper/producer Fathom 9(www.myspace.com/fathom9thebrotherhoodofdoom).

Sunday:

I went to an audition for a short film at the Collierville Public Library. The audition was for Frayed, which will be produced by Slacker Central Productions. I assumed that since the script was written by an African-American woman (Linda Ingram), that the main characters would be African-American. Imagine my surprise when the daughter in the main family was Caucasian. That threw me off. I joked with the director Jessica Powers about it. I still read for the dad, then I came back and read for a cheesy car salesman. Shout out to Mike McClendon (Divine Manipulation, Curbside Confessions). I hadn't seen him in about a year and a half. I also ran into Marguerite, another local actor/filmmaker, and Jeff and Jan Falk. I did my best. Hopefully, I will get a role. Contrary to popular belief, I am not in EVERY film. I'm trying to get some of my friends to stop introducing me that way. (Hi, Sparky).

After that, I picked up Bryan Newcomb, and we went over my boy Shomari's house to watch some good playoff football. The Patriots won (YAAAYYY!), but the Giants beat the Packers (BOOOOOO!). The Giants have a quaterback who played for Ole Miss, Eli Manning. I am a second-generation alumni of the University of Memphis. I will NEVER root for a stinking Reb player. EVER!!!! We watched football and chilled out. Shout out to "Angry" Nick Jones and Donovan for burning a lot of mixtapes for me. You guys rule!!!

After that, I dropped Bryan off at home and I went to the Vault for Karaoke Smackdown!! Shout out to the KJ David H, Joe, Sean George, THE Chris Haley, and Phyllis, who I hadn't seen in a while. I almost felt bad for her Cowboys, but she started cursing about the Titans. I performed "Tennessee" by Arrested Development, then Phyllis and I dueted on Timbaland's "The Way I Are". My last solo song was Norah Jones "Don't Know Why". Once, when I sang the line "I don't know why I didn't come", Phyllis had some colorful comments. God bless her and her loser Cowboys. I also helped some guy out on Naughty By Nature's "Hip Hop Hooray", Gladys Knight and the Pips' "Midnight Train to Georgia", and I joined David H and Joe on "My Love" by Justin Timberlake featuring TI. Props to David H for the falsetto.

Monday:

I left the house around 4 PM, picked up Bryan, and we went to the mall. Next, we saw First Sunday at the Palace on Old Summer Road. In this film, Ice Cube and Tracy Morgan try to rob a church. Katt Williams, Malinda Williams, Chi McBride, Keith David, and other solid actors are in this film. If you don't know their names, try www.imdb.com . After that, I went to Spin Street. I traded in the latest Scarface CD, Made, for store credit. I tried to like it, but it just wasn't that good to me. Scarface is one of my favorite rappers. I guess nobody's perfect. I used the store credit and my own mone to buy "Angry" Nick's birthday present. His bornday is February 28. I don't like to wait.

I have also started watching Breaking Bad, a new series on AMC. It's about a chemistry teacher who is dying of inoperable lung cancer. He decides to start selling crystal meth to build up money so his family will be taken care of after he leaves. I do have a bone to pick with AMC, though. You guys are showing Catwoman?! Catwoman?! I saw that movie for $5 at a matinee, and I wanted my money back!!!! Halle Berry doesn't watch Catwoman!!! I know the acronyms and initials are all hip and trendy, but AMC stands for American Movie Classics. Catwoman makes Gothika look like The Exorcist, and Gothika is a sucky movie. Get it together, AMC.
Be easy, readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home