Thursday, May 05, 2005

Musicfest Memories aka Dream Deferred.

There was a 3-day Musicfest here in Memphis. It was at Tom Lee Park. I decided to go on Sunday. I made it there by 3Pm. I caught the end of this Christian rock group Relient K. They were cool, but I didn't get a preachy vibe from them. I don't have a problem with it, but I can see how they are poised for crossover success. At 3:50, I decided to see Lisa Marie. She confessed to not having had a soundcheck, she cursed, and she really couldn't sing. I ran into some friends and we watched War. War was jamming! They did songs like "Slippin' Into Darkness", "Spill the Wine", "Cisco Kid", "Why Can't We Be Friends" and "Low Riders". During their closing intros, they did covers of "Funkin' Good Time" and "Iron Man". I was lovin' it!! Then, we saw Robert Randolph and the Family Band. Say what you want, that man was havin' church. His first song, "Can't Nobody Love Me", was very churchy. It was like a funky praise and worship service. I also liked his rendition of Sly and the Family Stone's "Thank You Falettin' Me Be Mice Elf (Agin)" (That's the way Sly spelled it, figure it out). And one of his final numbers was an instrumental version of Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy". Very cool. I was tired by the time The Roots came up. They're a hip-hop band. They have a rapper and musicians. They took forever getting the instruments right before they came out. Of course, the sound was still terrible. They did "Thought at Work", "I Don't Care", "Everybody is a Star" (Sly Stone cover), and they introed the band. The pronto pups and barbecue nachos were taking their toll on me and I left around the time they got into "You Got Me". My friends who stayed told me they did covers of White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" and Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal". I hate that I missed that! And their drummer ?uestlove (Hey, musicians spell funny), was gonna do a DJ set at a nearby club after that. Oh, well, maybe I'll come out later next year if I want to see the headliner. I'm a little disappointed. The Roots are one of my favorite groups. Oh, well, sun still shining. Be easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home