Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Acting, Movies, and Relaxation: My Extra-Long Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday:

I worked until 6 because I was off on Saturday, actually, my job was closed Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I got off and I went to the comic book store, ate at Applebees, and went to a Stevie Wonder tribute show at the Complex. Shout out to Thomas Spurlock (www.myspace.com/spurlockboy), Phat Dude, and the other performers. I also stayed for a Mint Condition show. They are an R&B band that came out in the early 90s. They rocked, but I started getting tired, so I left around the time that the lead singer, Stokely, started playing on the drums.

Side note: As I was leaving downtown Memphis and passing Midtown, I heard Champagne Supernova, a favorite song of my coworker/buddy/Midtown resident "Uncle" Marvin Skinner. Shout out to Uncle Marvin!!! Blue Steel, Marv!!! (That's a reference to the movie Zoolander).

Saturday:

I chilled out until about 3 PM, then I got up and got some food (O'Charley's, baby!!). Next, I saw Grindhouse. The first film was directed by Robert Rodriguez (Planet Terror). It was a well-written, extremely gross zombie film. The second film, Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof was a fun, crazy movie full of classic Tarantino dialogue. After that, I went to the karaoke bar for a spell.

Sunday:

I left the house around 3 PM to work on a project for Keenon Nikita (director, Just the Two of Us). Rod Pitts (www.pittstoproductions.com), Travis Stone (Ray, Arrogant Dead People), and Kim Skipper (Imagine, What Goes Around) also participated. It was cool working with all of those people again. Stone threw a punch and I had to move my head and make it look like I really took the punch. That was a little nerve-wracking, but I pulled it off. I always learn when I talk to Stone. After that, it was back to the karaoke bar (Jordan's) yet again.

Monday:

I was off (WOOOOHOOOO!!), and I slept off and on until about 3:30. I saw Pride. Terrence Howard played in a true story about a guy who taught some inner city youth to swim competitively in Philadelphia in the 70s. Howard was solid, as were Bernie Mac (Kings of Comedy) and Kimberly Elise (John Q, Diary of a Mad Black Woman), but the story was typical. I am still a sucker for a good inspirational speech, though. They are the highlight of most sports stories for me. After that, I went home, chilled out, and watched Monday Night Raw. Days off are awesome!!!! Be easy, readers!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home