Monday, January 28, 2008

Bad-Ass Kids, Dear Old Dad, and No Wrestling: The Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday:

I got off work, went home, and vegged in front of the TV. The end.

Saturday:

I watched the Tigers win a close one against Gonzaga. We're still number one, you haters!!! Then, I went to the comic book store. Shoutout to Donnie, he's got a new comic book coming that's going to be awesome!!! Shout out to the store's owner, Ron, and shout out to Sean George, another employee. After that, I went to the ghetto theatre on Old Summer Road, the palace. I saw How She Move. It's another one of those dance movies with the flimsiest of plots. I gave it 2 and a half out of five stars on flixster.com. What was even worse than the movie was the surroundings. The bathrooms were stank, too many badass ghetto kids running around, and the theater was cold. I moved from up to the bottom section, thinking that the "ghetto people" wouldn't go down there. Boy, was I wrong. First, I sat on a row with these little kids that kept going in and out of the theater. I moved and found myself sitting in front of this group of people and anothe loud kid. I was leaning over in my seat, trying not to block their view (I'm tall). The kid's dad sits him on this little surface in front of him. The kid falls back and hits me in the neck while I'm sitting there. I don't need this. At least the kids' dad asked was I okay. I am now beginnig another self-imposed exile from the Palace. I keep giving them chances, and the environment just gets worse.

After that, I went to the establishment formerly known as Jordan's Karaoke Bar and Grill. Their new name is Jordan's catfish and more. They now have no smoking on the karaoke side. There is also a sports bar for you cancer-stick users to engage in your filthy habits. I have asthma, so I was quite pleased. Jordan's was packed. There were about three parties going on, and there were actually African-American females inthere. Of course, most were either coupled up or there were several dudes in their face. Oh, well. I only got to perform 2 songs: "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley, and "Like a Star" by Corinne Bailey Rae. I was projected to sing again after midnight, according to the computer. That seemed like a mile away at 10:30 PM, so I left.

Sunday:

I watched TV and I watched the Celtics lose to the Magic in basketball. The Celtics have a great team, so they'll bounce back. I got a call from my biological father. He got into a dispute with someone and got out their car. He was on the corner of Hickory Hill (Hickory Hood) and Knight Arnold. Of course, I picked him up. I had to drive him all the way back to Somerville. That sucked. It was good to talk to him. He promised that he would pay me back (he probably won't), and he said he would take me out for lunch some time. He always says that. I had this big speech planned about how I wouldn't take this and that he shouldn't call me. Of course, I chickened out. Even my dad takes advantage of me. I have got to quit being so freaking soft!!! Score one for the biological.

After using all this gas money, I decided to be economical and watch the WWE pay-per-view Royal Rumble at the Hooters near my house. It was too crowded, and my Hooters girl wasn't even that well endowed. Talk about misleading!!! I had bought cheesesticks for $5.99, but then they put these signs on the table saying that in order for them to keep showing pay-per-views, everybody had to spend $7.oo after 7 PM. That was the last straw. I bid goodbye to the loud noise, the guy whose chair was way too close to mine, and the small-breasted waitress. I went to Burger King, used a coupon to get a free chicken sandwich (UMMMM, chicken!!), king-size onion rings, and king-size lemondade, and headed home. I also finished watching Hot Fuzz with the Fuzz-O-Meter On (Trivia comes up on the screen).

Monday:

I woke up in the middle of the night, and I watched the shows from earlier in the evening. There's a new show on AMC called Breaking Bad. The dad from Malcolm in the Middle plays a nerdy chemistry teacher dying from inoperable lung cancer. He decides to start selling crystal meth so his pregnant wife, their unborn child, and his son afflicted with cerebral palsy can be taken care of. Of course, the plan goes to hell quickly. AMC has another hit on their hand with only their second original series. Their first, Mad Men, is also excellent.

I got chewed out by the boss today. I was legitimately dragging my feet on an assignment. He tells me "If you don't want to do it, just say it". Yeah, right. I'm not stupid!!! He tells me that he knows that I can do it and he feels that he has to push me, and he believes in me. Wow, I'd give up a kidney for the biological to say something like that. I got back on top of it. I'm frustrated.

I had hoped to save up money to take a trip to LA this year. Between living expenses, this new biweely pay schedule at work that results in smaller checks (but more pay periods), and life in general, I don't know. I'm also depressed about my acting career. I haven't acted in almost two months. I have to keep performing. It's one of the few things I do that makes me feel alive. I am frustrated with this town. Only one big movie came last year, there's a lot of silly competition and backbiting (with very little to gain), and our film commissioner Lynn Sitler made a comment that a lot of actors took offense to. She said that Memphis could double for New York, but she didn't think we could convincingly give New York accents. Even the local newsman interviewing her seemed a little shocked at those comments. Lynn, if you are reading this (like that's gonna happen), you may have meant well, but it just sounded mean. It is hard enough trying to chase our dreams in this town, and it is a little disappointing if our Film Commisioner doesn't believe in us. I have to get out of this town, somehow. I'm down, but not out. Tomorrow, I will get up, watch some TV, drink some OJ, and get back on the saddle, pilgrims!!!! Be easy, readers!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home