Monday, July 07, 2008

Karaoke, Get-Togethers, and fireworks:The 4th of July Weekend Wrap-Up

Thursday:

I got off work, went to Flasback's and hung out with local actors Forrest Pruett, Kristin Ackerman, Travis Stone, Jenn Morris, and Jon Sparks. It was good to see Stone, Jenn, and Sparky again. I only sang two songs at karaoke: "Free Falling" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and "Jack and Diane" by John Cougar Mellencamp. I was sleepy, so I went home.

Friday:

I got up, went to Comics and Collectibles (shout out to Donnie and Ron) and geeked out for a few minutes. After that, I went to Kroger and bought some grilled chicken pieces for the barbecue at my boy Shomari's mom's house. Most of the gang came by: Shomari, Terra Hollis, Denna Greer, Donovan, Will, Mario, Jamaica, Gerald, and others. We watched Aliens vs. Predator, Aliens vs. Predator:Requiem, and The Boondocks: Season Two on DVD. I started getting sleepy, so once again, I went home.

Saturday:

I got up, got my hair cut, and argued with my barber about the NBA. It's a tradition, now. I went back home and took a nap for a while, then I got up and went to the comic book store again. I was hoping that the guys who do the Geekland Podcast would be there, but I guess that they took the holiday off. Wasted gas. I went back home, went to sleep again, then I went over Arnold Edwards II and Dayna Hinkel's home for another cookout. Hardy McNeese, Dedrick Bullard, Glen Ring, his girlfriend, and my buddy Jarrod and his brother came. It was great to see everybody because I hadn't seen most of them since the screening of Arnold's film, Curbside Confessions. I was in that film, too. Yay me!! We chilled out, argued about films, TV, comics, and other things. Shomari and Arnold work in the same department at Fed Ex, so he and his cousin Gerald showed up for a little while, too. They were also playing Rock Band. I sang two songs before I left: "In Bloom" by Nirvana, and "Wanted, Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi. By 11:45, I had to get home. I went to Wal-Mart and bought some groceries, then I went home and went to bed.

Sunday:

I got up and went to McDonald's for a chicken biscuit. I had the craziest experience. I ordered the meal and I asked to substitute an orange juice for the cofee that comes with it. The exchange went like this:

Woman at McDonald's: "Just say you want it with orange juice. We don't substitute nothing."

Me: "But the sign says substitute."

Woman: "We don't substitute nothing."

Me: "But the sing right behind you says substitute orange juice or another drink for coffee for an additional fee. I'm not talking out of my head!"

I should've let it go, but darn it, I can only take so much ignorance!! I pray that this woman does not breed.

I went back home, and chilled out until about 4:45 PM. I went to the Cordova Cinema in the hopes of seeing Hancock. One of the projecters that was supposed to be showing that film broke, so they crammed everybody into one screening, and it was full. I decided to see the 5:20 screenng of Wall-E instead. I loved the film!! Wall-E is the last cleaning robot still functioning on a deserted Earth in the future. The humans send a female robot (Eve) to investigate things, and she discovers Wall-E and a plant, indicating that humans can come back to Earth. Wall-E stows away on the ship that picks her up, and winds up on the space station where humans live. It is another solid, funny, heartwarming, Pixar cartoon. I really felt for Wall-E. He kept trying to impress Eve, but she was focused on her mission. The robot love was cute. I gave it 4/5 stars on flixster.com.

I may be an extra in a film this week. The film scene is still moving slow right now. I keep hearing about things, so HOPEFULLY, things will pick up. Be easy, readers!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home