Monday, June 06, 2005

Improvisational Celebration

Okay, I celebrated my birthday with my friends on Saturday, then with my family on Sunday. After work, I went to a rehearsal for the movie that I am doing. I was okay, but I felt that I held back during improv. As I was leaving the church that houses the Media Co-Op(the haven for independent films in Memphis), my "check engine" light came on. I was a little messed up, but I drove home. My brother calmed me down and said to let the car cool off. We checked the fluids, which were fine. I thought it was the thermostat which Kia "claims" to have fixed twice. I felt a little unsafe driving back on the expressway, so I got my boy Nick from Hickory Hill to give me a lift. Shout out to Nick for coming through. Then, I got Denna and Paul to pick up my boy Bryan. My boy Paul had lost his cell phone, so he was MIA. Although I was one of the last people to arrive, I had about 20 people there. I felt so much love, man. Paul and Denna got me Chappelle's Show, Season 2 (Rick James, B*tch!!!) (Sorry, mom, that's what he says), my boy Demarco (Anti-Thug Coalition) got me the Clone Wars DVD. Clone Wars is an animated feature that fits inbetween Episode 2 and Episode 3. My boy Paul had the most unique gift: butter cookies. See, my friends and I have a running joke about butter cookies. We talk about how people used to fight over butter cookies in school. We also have a rap chant about it: "Butter cookies (beat, beat) butter cookies(beat, beat), butter cookies! I then started chanting, "it's my birthday and I got butter cookies!" I also started doing a little crazy dancing when the balloon girl was like, "Go , it's your birthday". The second part of my birthday didn't go as planned. Some people had to go, some people decided to stand around in the Chili's lot talking. By the time we got there, the tickets for the 10:00 showing of The Longest Yard were sold out. Denna was tired, so she and Paul left. My boy Nick didn't want to wait, so my 20-member party shrunk down to Paul Briggs, DeMarco, Bryan, and myself in Paul's van going to the movies downtown at the Peaboddy Place (Muvico is $6.oo with student IDs. Yay!) So, we saw the movie, and Paul drove us all home. Paul finally got to see my brother's house. Sunday, I was still hesitant to drive my car. My parents picked me up, and we went to O'Charley's. My stepdad invited his high school buddy and his wife, which was cool, but I felt like the little kid at Thanksgiving. I couldn't really trip out and be myself. I had my moment when the waitress brought me that little birthday cake. They did that corny birthday song, you know, "Happy, happy birthday, blah, blah, blah". Of course, I wanted to break into the running man, but I just played like I was conducting an orchestra with my fork. It was a pretty cool birthday. And my mom bought me my cousin Shae Norman's gospel CD. It's great!!! The boy got talent!!!! And a very heartwarming card(Sniff, sniff, one tear) AND a check for $40.oo (You rock, Mom!!!) and my brother should get me Jay-Z's "Fade to Black" concert DVD AND my boy Shomari said that he ordered something for me that hasn't come yet. Knowing him, it's some cool, anime or Power Rangerish or comic book thingy. It'll probably be freakin' sweeet!!!! Yeah, man, it wasn't the blowout bash I hoped it would be, but it was still cool. Shout out to everybody who participated,and extra special shout out to my mom, Lillian McGhee, Paul Briggs for the butter cookies (What!) and Wanda for coming with a broken foot. I told her she was a trooper, she shook off the injury like a Rocky comeback or something! She truly had the Eye of the Tiger. I appreciate and love everybody who helped me celebrate my birthday. My 29th year is truly off to a wondrous start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home