Saturday, August 27, 2005

It's a Family Affair

Yesterday I took a one-day self-imposed exile from filming to hang out with my cousin Anwar. I went to Somerville, picked him up, and we hung out in Collierville and watched a movie. I wanted to see Brothers Grimm. He wanted to see Dukes of Hazzard. Our compromise was Four Brothers. I enjoyed it a little bit more the second time. It's flawed, but enjoyable. I drove him from Collierville to Somerville and planned to drop him off. His mom then asks me to go over my Aunt Mary's house in Somerville and pick up my cousin Sam so my uncle Ray can take him back to Memphis. Afte I get Sam, I have to take him to various stores to find his cigarettes. I finally have to go in and buy the cigarettes because he does not have ID on him. I love my family. To death. We begin talking. I talked about my film. He talked about his brother who will be going upstate for a while. I feel like I've neglected my friends and my family in my pursuit of the fortune and fame. I need to spend more time with them. Which will probably mean going out to the country on Labor Day. I hate the long drive from Cordova, but I need to spend more time with my family. Family is everything. I have never really been close to my family. I need to do better. Especially now that I see my cousins taking the wrong path. I want to try to do my part to see that the rest of my cousins avoid run-ins with the law. Spirituality and family time will be the cure for the emptiness I still feel. Honestly, I love making films, but after we wrap for the day, I feel empty. It's a loneliness that I can't seem to fill. I do exciting things, and I wish I had someone special to share them with. I know God can fill the emptiness. I've neglected him for far too long. I also hope to involve my family in some of these pursuits. I know that three of my cousins rap. I hope to get them on my album one day. I also hope to maybe use them as extras in my films. Gotta put things in perspective. I cannot sacrifice everything for the dream. I must prioritize. I will, however, shoot on Keenon's film today. I still want to finish what I started. Be easy, readers. Spend time with your family. Family is everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home