Saturday, September 03, 2005

The World Outside My Window

Man, the world looks and feels totally different now. The illusion of comfort that we all live under has been momentarily shattered. New Orleans is looking like Atlantis and we have riots and discrimination halting relief efforts. To make things worse, on Labor Day Weekend, gas stations are running out of gas. Many people will stay at home for fear of being stranded out in the middle of nowhere. I look around my city and I see that although Memphis has tried to welcome people with open arms, our arms are getting heavy. Our hotels are cramped and overbooked. Our churches and community centers are working overtime. I am not in any way knocking relief efforts. The relief is needed, and I pray that it continues. But Memphis is in danger of overexerting itself. The American Idol audition has already been cancelled because of the relief efforts. New Orleans residents are applying for unemployment, enrolling their children in Memphis schools, and are pretty much becoming citizens of Memphis. I am not sure that we have the room. There is also ongoing debate about whether or not Craig Brewer should postpone Black Snake Moan, which is being filmed in the Pyramid. I am all for sacrifice, but how much is too much? How much time and effort do we give? Something needs to be done, but do we sacrifice our way or living totally? I honestly don't know. Things look bleak. George Bush should send some relief to Memphis, too. The world seems a little bit smaller, but it also seems a little bit darker. It ain't safe no more. Of course, it never was, but now our comfort zone has been eradicted. God help us all. Be easy, and stay prayerful.

2 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger DA Fowler said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger DA Fowler said...

Good piece man. Peersonally I think they been sould've opened up the Collesium and some of these old buildings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home