Thursday, January 12, 2006

Third Time's the Charm

Last night, I watched The Importance of Being Russell for the first time. They had two test screenings at Studio on the Square. During the first screening, my Cowboy Up Crew was in the house: Arnold "AE2" Edwards (PA Pretender, Third Wheel Date), Dayna "Definition of Extra" Hinkel (Divine Manipulation of the Threads, Delusions), Krista Finley (PA Pretender, PA Intern, Black Snake Moan), Jarrod Wilson, and Tiffany Pemberton (Delusions, PA Pretender).
My mama was in the audience! Shout out to Lillian McGhee, my lovely and beautiful and talented mother. Shoot, I'm trying to get a good birthday present! Just kidding...kinda. My buddy Bryan Newcomb (Just the Two of Us, Divine Manipulation) and everyone's favorite dictator in training Damarico Fowler (www.blacksupervillain.blogspot.com) were there as well. I also ran into a woman who attended Fayette Ware named Renee. Ah, memories. It was a funny movie. There were a few raunchy moments, but overall, it was funny. I feared my mom would disown me, but she was a good sport. Whew! I want her to see my performances and I think that she wants to see them, but I curse so often! It's a Catch-22.

I also stayed for the second screening. My buddy Will (Just the Two of Us, Third Wheel Date) showed up, as did MR. Travis Stone (Ray, Delusions) and Alisa. My bad, Alisa, I do not know your last name. The lovely and talented Ms. Lavita Brooks (What Goes Around, Grim Sweeper) came out to support me, as well as Denna Greer (What Goes Around) and Paul "P-Dub" West, producer extraordinaire.

The general consensus is that the film was pretty good. This is the first premiere that I left happy. It took me three premieres, but I'm happy. Yes, I see moon crater-like flaws in my performance, but it was an interesting experience on my one-day shoot at Shelby Forest in the summer of 2004. I was the only, ahem, "splash of color" for miles around, but it turned out okay, and people enjoyed themselves, myself included. So, this is a hearltfelt THANK YOU to my mom, Tim (Dollars and Signs), Morgan Fox (Dollars and Signs), Travis, Alisa, AE2, Day-Day, Tif, Krista, Jarrod, Vita, Damarico, Bryan, Renee, Muck Sticky, Andrew Neninger, Sarah Fleming, and extra special thanks to the founders of Pittstop Productions, Rod Pitts and Nazeeh Majeed, who came in later. Rod left me a voicemail that said, "Good job, playboy". That meant the world to me. I am learning to be content with small victories, to not stress the small stuff, and enjoy this journey that we call life. Okay, if i get any cheesier, I'm going to start attracting rats, so I'll end on that note. Be easy, readers. Live those dreams today, tomorrow's not promised.
PS If I forgot your name, I'm sorry. I probably didn't see you in all the confusion. Don't have a hissy! Gosh!

Support Local Music!!!!

Come on over to the Complex at 704 Madison and support my friend Latoya Baker and her rock band Closed Caption. They opening act is Paul West and his band GRIP, which includes the vocalist Thomas Spurlock and other performers. Doors open at 8 PM. The admission is $5.00. If you want to hear some good, homegrown talent, please come out and support these great local acts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home