Monday, September 18, 2006

Filming, Performances, and Auditions: The Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday:

I ran into Amy Weatherford (Last Call Loving, Curbside Confessions) and her boyfriend at Best Buy. They had a little black dog named Cricket. Amy is a vegan and lover of nasty, disgusting bugs (in my opinion), so I'm not surprised. She said she would have named it Moth but she was afraid I would kill it. I agreed. After this happy banter, I went over Don McCracken's house and filled out paperwork. The next morning, I was going to be an extra in his film, Nightmare on Feng-Shui Street. We also sang "This Litte Light of Mine", the song that I had to sing. I was a little off-key, but he worked with me.

Saturday:
I was back over Mr. McCracken's house by 8 AM. My "acting" consisted of cleaning the leaves out of his pool. I really did this for three hours. I got paid $20. It was cool. The song turned out pretty good, too. Don also plans to use me in a church congregation scene for the movie in the future.

Later that day (after a nap), I went to the Cooper-Young Festival for a minute. I ran into comic book creator Antone Wade (www.toshigawa.com), who was passing out flyers for the upcoming comic book convention in Memphis. Next, I ran into Dev of the hip-hop group Tunnel Clones (www.myspace.com/tunnelclones), who were about to perform. I chilled out and watched their performance. They were joined by jazz saxophonist Hope Clayburn (www.myspace.com/hopeclayburn) for a very exciting performance. I also saw some of the local b-boys (breakdancers) like Nosy. They broke out the mat and started breaking. It was pretty awesome!!! My girl Denna Greer (What Goes Around) was also in the building, as was my friend Wanda, her sister Sue Linn and her niece. Her niece got up on my shoulders to see what was going on, but I had to put her down because my nose started running. It was a cool performance, and it was good to see the Tunnel Clones again. I bought their latest CD, "Concrete Swap", and a Tunnel Clones t-shirt. After that, I ran into local filmmaker Ben Siler and learned that he, too, was an extra on "My Blueberry Nights". I also learned that he plans to leave town for a year. Hurry back, Ben. The filmmaking community will miss you.

Later, I went to the mall with Bryan Newcomb (Just the Two of Us) and we hung out, exchanging insults and mama jokes, like we always do. After that, I went to Jordan's for a little karaoke. The KJ , Tony, insisted that I perform the Georgia Satellites' "Keep Your Hands to Yourself". I did, and the crowd loved it. Later, I performed Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative". Yes, young readers. Bobby Brown did the song first, not Britney Spears! After that, I called it a night.

Sunday:
I made it to the audition for this independent film Trick or Treat around 10 AM. I knew the director from "My Blueberry Nights", and another guy knew me from Delusions. I guess I was okay. They said that they would call people at 5:30 PM yesterday. I didn't get a call, so I guess I'm not in it. Even King Indie doesn't get every part. I know, I know, I can't be in everything....but I try!!! And why shouldn't I!!! I'm Markus Seaberry, the heart and soul of indie films in the Memphis area!!!! The creative lifeblood of this city flows through my veins, jack!!! I make your body shake, your liver quiver....I'm sorry, I was posessed by the spirit of classic wrestler Dusty Rhodes for a minute. Oh, well, I stil wish them well. Maybe I'll catch them next time. After that, I scooped up Bryan and we headed over to my homeboy Shomari's to watch wrestling...but, Comcast's pay-per-view channels were down. Me and the rest of my wrestling crew watched The Benchwarmers. It was a pretty funny underdog comedy with Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite), Rob Schneider, David Spade, Jon Lovitz, and Craig Kilbourne. Also, the dad from Everybody Hates Chris, Terry Crews, makes an appearance. That guy is funny!!!

After that, I went back to Jordan's and performed "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" per Tony's request yet again. That's all I had time for that night.

A pretty productive weekend, although I am a little bummed about Trick or Treat? I must bounce back, like the King always does.

Plug Time!!!

Live From Memphis™ is announcing round 3 of its quarterly film fest “Li’l Film Fest” to take place on September 23, 2006 at 2pm. The festival will be held at the Memphis Digital Arts Co-operative (1000 S. Cooper Memphis, TN 38104).

The following is a list of accepted films and filmmakers:

"Electric Ninja Acid Test" John Pickle
"Ninja in a Box" Razor Teeth
"Kung Fu Fighting: A Literary Improvisation" Jon W. Sparks (I'm in this one)
"Kung Fu Baby" Nick Ross
"Ragtime Kung Chew" Galen Gower
"The Ancient One" Donald Meyers
"Kung Fu Fightin’: scenes from Blown 2" Will O’Loughlen
"Death Match Arena" Natsuko Kobayashi
"Johnny Cage, You Are a Fool" Edward Valibus Phillips
*Look for a bonus entry by Sarah Fleming and Christopher Reyes!!

The event is free and open to the public; Live From Memphis and the MeDiA Co-op will be accepting donations. Support Local Filmmakers! For More information about the LI’L FILM FEST please visit: http://www.livefrommemphis.com/filmfest or call 523-9763.

Countdown to Markus Seaberry's next Premiere:
5 Days and Counting!!!!

Be Easy, Readers!!!

2 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy sir,

Would you happen to know if My Blueberry Nights has finished shooting yet? And if it hasn't, what location they may be in? Just trying to clarify something for a story I wrote. Thanks.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger M.Sea said...

I don't know if they finished shooting yet. I know they left Memphis and planned to shoot in another place, but I don't know where.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home