Monday, November 20, 2006

Bums, Cartoons, and Wrestling: The Weekend Wrap-Up

Saturday:

We celebrated Rod Pitts' birthday on Saturday. Longtime readers know that Rod is my buddy and film mentor. Keenon Nikita (Poor and Hungry) was there, as was our friend Ruth (Just the Two of Us), Jason Dancy (Imagine), Learyn Wilde (Across the River), Naseera Lewis (What Goes Around), Jon Sparks (www.jonwsparks.blogspot.com), and his lovely wife. Travis Stone (Ray) and Alisa Nave (Curbside Confessions) also stopped by. We were at On the Border on Poplar. It was cool, we talked shop (acting, filmmaking), of course, and hung out. I bought Rod a t-shirt from Extreme Wear on American Way that said, "It IZ What it IZ". That's a phrase he's fond of saying. It was cool, until Keenon started fussing at me about writing my own stuff. I know I need to, because I am convinced that nobody (but me) sees me as a lead actor. I will write...in due time.

Later on, I went to Jordan's and sang some karaoke. Forrest Pruett (Delusions) and Ritchie "Mayor of Frayser" Pierce were there. The Mayor and I performed "Nuttin' But a G Thang". Next, I performed "Sexyback" by Justin Timberlake. Forrest and I dueted on Linkin Park's "In the End". Later, I attempted Marcy Playground's "Sex and Candy". I was assisted because I was struggling, but one guy was like, "Dude, he sucks!!! You gotta help him!!!" That was just not needed. I won the crowd back with my rendition of Nirvana's "Lithium". After that, I called it a night.

Sunday:

I shot a scene for Adam Remsen's short for the next Lil' Film Fest. The theme is politically incorrect holidays. I played a bum begging form money. I didn't get my hair cut and went unshaven for a few days. I also wore the crummiest clothes I had. It was cool!!! We shot in front of the Boss Crump statue in Overton Park. It was cool. Adam and his wife were cool people. After that, I got a call from Jon Sparks about being in his short. I agreed to meet him later. I rolled up in Perkins for some lunch, and I ran into Christian from the group Freesol (www.myspace.com/freesol) and his girlfriend. We chitchatted for a sec, then I ate my lunch.

Later, I arrived at casa de Sparks and was greeted by Jon and Amber, an actor/Meisner coach in the area. Mrs. Sparks and their daughter Jackie was also there. The Sparks have a really cool home. I played Amber's husband, and that's all I really want to say about that. There was a moment when Sparky because had to relight because I was "too black". I fought the urge to yell out, "But I like country music!!!" Seriously, folks, my dark skin tone can be a lighting nightmare sometimes. We worked it out, and I will shoot other scenes later.

After that, I went to see Aaron McGruder, creator of the Boondocks, at the Rose Theater on the University of Memphis campus. Aaron was very candid about his views on the government, ignorant hip-hop, and religion. I was sadddened to hear that he does not believe in Christianity, but that's his right. I enjoyed the discussion, and I was sitting with my peoples: Up and coming producer Paul "P-Dub" West, "Angry" Nick Jones, Deena Greer (What Goes Around), Paul Briggs, and DeMarrico Fowler. Shout out to Zandria, Powwah, Phucha, J'Malo, Niysha, Melissa, Gary, Juwanda, and Radiance who were in attendance.

I ended my evening at Jordan's once again. Shout out to Tony, Alena, Uncle Ricki, and the rest of the crew. I sang "It's All About the Benjamins"by Puff Daddy and the Family. I am never doing that song by myself again. The verse overlap: Puffy, Jadakiss, Sheek, Lil'Kim, then the Notorious BIG. I enjoyed myself, though.

Sports Watch:

Shout out to the Tennessee Titans for beating the Philadelphia Eagles, and it's too bad that Philly's quarterback is out for the season now. Shout out to the University of Memphis Tigers football team on the end of a hellish season. Hey, at least you won one game. Next year, baby!!!
Be easy, readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home