Monday, December 18, 2006

Parties, Victory, and Sellouts:The Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday:

I got off work, got a haircut, went to the comic book store, bought some gifts, and then I watched Happy Feet. Yeah, I said Happy Feet. Leave me alone!!! The penguins make me smile.
Next, I went to a party at my girl Tamara's house. I got to see her beautiful daughter Lex (who's started walking), her boyfriend Rafael, and I got to see my boy Milton, who I hadn't seen in years!!!! Our conversations covered AIDS, alcohol, sweating, Pokemon, hip-hop, strip clubs, and other various topics. It was cool, but I had to break out by midnight so I would be ready for work on Saturday.

Saturday:

I got off work and I attended the Lil' Film Fest 4. The theme was "Politically Incorrect Holidays". It was tamer than I thought it would be. There were a lot of good shorts: Adam Remsen's Rationalization Day (featuring me!!!), My friend Don's "George and Martha" short, and other interesting shorts like "Adopt a Freak Day". In the end, just like on Highlander, there can be only one, and John "Sparky" Sparks' short, "Happy Artistic Freedom Day" (featuring me!!!!)took both the Jury Award (chosen by a committee), and the Audience Award. Sparky gave the cash prize for the audience award back. Sparky's a noble, valiant guy, so I wasn't shocked at that. Shout out to Naseera Lewis (What Goes Around), Deneka and DeAara Lewis (Tricks), Alisa Nave (Curbside Confessions), my good buddy Damarico Fowler (www.newnegro.blogspot.com, www.blacksupervillain.blogspot.com), and local filmmkaer Lynda Ingram for coming out. I appreciated everyone's presence and/or votes. I also apoligize if my competitive nature came out. Some people were like, "It's about having fun and making movies". That's all well and good, but I'm competitive and I like to win. Also, to those who said that they would break my record set at this year's Indie Memphis with 8 film appearances (Brett Magdovitz, I'm talking to you), I only have this to say: I have a film appearance in 2007's Indie Memphis, and it's STILL 2006. It's good to be the King...King Indie, that is.

Later, I showed up at my coworker Tracey Parker's tree-trimming party. It was cool, we discussed movie, I think I got into "extreme comic-book geek" mode when we discussed Batman, but, hey, I've got to be me.

Later, I went to Jordan's for more karaoke fun. I sang "Smooth", by Carlos Santana featuring Rob Thomas. I also assisted Jamie by doing the male rap on Salt 'N Pepa's "Shoop". Shout out to Jamie, and our birthday people like Judd and Niki. I love my karaoke friends, although I do wish that they would take it easy on the bottled spirits.

Sunday:

I went to Jordan's for a little karaoke. I sang "On Broadway" by the Drifters. I probably shouldn't have, though. I raced from Jordan's to downtown (Thank you, expressway) to make a the 3:00 performance of "They Sing Christmas Up in Harlem" at the Hattiloo Theatre, the new African-American repertory theatre in town. (www.hattilootheatre.org) Do you Hattiloo? Tell your friends. Okay, end of plug. I got there at 3:01, but it was sold out. I'll try again on Saturday. Disappointed, I went further downtown to the Muvico Theatre. There, I viewed Will Smith's film The Pursuit of Happyness. This is a VERY inspiring film about a man who was reduced to nothing and became a success at Dean Witter as a stockbroker. It made me feel better about my situation. Hey, at least I have a full-time job and no kids!!! I will have to get that one on DVD.

Later, I went over my friend Shomari's house for some wrestling pay-per-view fun, then back to Jordan's for another number. I sang Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", and I assisted some nursing student on Beyonce's song "Crazy in Love". I did Jay-Z's ad-libs and raps. I do what I can. I didn't even get a "Thanks" or a "'Preciate it, buddy", though. Some people, I tell you!!!

I want to apologize to one of my readers who thought I said that there would be no more films shooting until September. I believe that I said that I hadn't got paid since September, back when I was an extra on My Blueberry Nights. At any rate, I hope that situation is clarified. Be easy, readers.

PS: Titans watch: Sunday's win over Jacksonville made it five in a row. And the free coffee from Exxon (I opted for hot chocolate instead) was sweeter than usual.

PPS: Record watch: If you ever loved hip-hop, kinda like it, or still breakdance on occasion, pick up the CD "Hip-Hop is Dead" by Nas. It's good music, and I give it the Seaberry Seal of Approval.

3 Comments:

At 3:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've tried to see all of Hattilu Theatre's plays but missed the first half of "They Sing Christmas Up in Harlem". What was your opinion?

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger M.Sea said...

I never saw the play. It kept selling out on me.

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how consistent you are with your updates. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home