Monday, March 17, 2008

Funerals, Dancing, and Sweet Sixteen: The Weekend Wrap-up

Friday:

I got off work, ran some errands, and chilled out,

Saturday:

I got my hair cut at 6 in the morning. I found an African-American barber in my neighborhood. Thank goodness!! I also ran some more errands, then I went home and watched the Memphis Tigers destroy Tulsa and win the Confrence USA Tournament. Yeah, baby!!! After that, my brother and I went to my cousin Rosie's funeral. I saw my high school buddy Keith Mayo for the first time in a long time. Rosie went to the church that I was baptized in. The former pastor of the church (and the guy that baptized me), Minister O.D.Crutcher, spoke. I learned that Rosie's daughter, Wysteria, is engaged. I saw her son Robert for the first time in years. He lives in Nashville now. I saw all kinds of faces from my past. It was a bit surreal. Rosie's children released pink balloons into the air at her burial site. It was very touching.

After that, I went back home and crashed for a few hours. I went to a dance party at the Vault on Highland. I danced the night away. Shout out to the organizers, April Steele and Lauren. They had their laptop full of good songs from itunes. Shout out to Sean George, Curt Franklin, Chris Haley, Doyle, Scoop, and the rest of the crew. I had a crazy incident, though. This one girl dragged me onto the dance floor. I was trying to keep up, but I had been up since 4 AM. She was saying stuff like, "I know you can dance faster than this, you're Black!(not cool)" I tried to explain to her that I was tired. In her drunken stupor, I believe she thought I was dissing her. I tried to reassure her by saying "You're great, but I suck" and "I'm sorry", but I don't think I got through to her. Wow, even my drunken encounters with women end badly. Does anyone have Hitch's number? In spite of that, I had a good time, though.

Sunday:

I got up, watched some DVR, and chilled out. I went to Comics and Collectibles and got my weekly stash of comic awesomeness, then I went back home and tried to nap. I was invited to the Sweet Sixteen party of Ashley Nikita, Keenon Nikita's (director, Just the Two of Us) daughter. Keenon had step team and several musical acts. It was at the New Daisy theater. The step team was awesome, but I only was one act. There were some sound issues, so the Movement, which includes my the rapper Slim Riggs (a buddy of mine), could not perform. I was getting sleepy and the "popular" hip-hop started boring me. Hey, the kids love it. Souljah Boy Tell 'Em, or something like that. "Hater, you just mad 'cause I got me some Bathing Apes" is a line from one of his songs. No, I'm just mad about your lack of grammar skills. Anyway, I made sure Ashely got her gift from me, and I exited the party. Shout out to Rod Pitts who was filming the event. Shout out to THE Travis Stone who was also there.

As usual, I crammed WAY too much into the weekend. Fortunately, I have nothing on the agenda for tonight. Markus needs sleepy time. Be easy, readers!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home