Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Real Hip-Hop

I went to see KRS-One on Saturday. It was great. For those of you who don't know, the man is a hip-hop legend. Also, my friends the Iron Mic Coalition opened for them. The Iron Mic Coalition is a local hip-hop collective here in Memphis that are a little more thougth-provoking. Plus, they are my friends. They rocked it! It was a great performance. They worked the crowd, had charisma, and were very theatrical. I was proud of those dudes. Then the teacher KRS-One came out. KRS-One stands for Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone. The man is 39, but he killed it. Even though the sound was horrible. His mic went in and out. KRS-One still did his thing. Me and my friends were rocking to the old-school hip-hop joints from his collection. Even the IMC members chilled out in the crowd. Also, the IMC's dj, Capital A, played all kinds of old school joints. One of my favorites was Triggerman-a Memphis rap classic, followed by the DOC's Gettin' Funky, and then he killed it with some Gangsta Pat. I was gangsterwalking. That's another classic Memphis dance that Hammer popularized in the 90s. I loved it. It also gave me a sense of understanding. I always wonder about hip-hop and its disposable nature. Although it is the music of my youth, would I eventually outgrow it? After I saw 39-year old KRS-One rock the mic and not look corny, I had an epiphany: If you are true to yourself and your art, the music will grow with you. For example, if 50 Cent should still be making music at 40, hopefully it won't sound the same. It was a great performance. "It don't quit, ya'll, and it sounds so nice, hip-hop you the love of my life". Be easy.

P.S. I have decided to end my imaginary feud with Dr. Augustus Q. Fro. We plan to make a donation to the Eighties Preservation Fund to further their campaign to put seasons of The Great Space Coaster on DVD. Also, be on the lookout for our collaborative effort as the Bougie Geeks entitled Saga Of the Sith Pimp Masters. Also, please visit his blog at blacksupervillain.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home