Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Forget Gravity

Check this out. I think that too many times we as humans get in the way of ourselves. We are our own obstacle and our own excuse. Once you get out of your way and stop holding yourself back, the possiblities are endless. I have a goofy pop culture example to illustrate my point. I remember a Loony Tunes cartoon where Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd were kids. Fudd is chasing Bugs, and he runs off a cliff and keeps walking on air. He had not learned about gravity in school yet. A few scenes later, he runs off the cliff and falls. They had finally learned gravity in school. This is a metaphor for life. When you were a little kid, what did you want to be? Superhero? Ballerina? Cowboy? Superhero? Amway Product salesman? Just kidding. The possibilities were endless because no one placed limitations on you. You didn't know that cowboys only worked in certain parts of the country or that superheroes weren't real (SSSHHH! Don't tell my friends at the comic book store. It'll crush them). As you get older, the limitaions get placed on you. You're too old to be a ballerina or a world class gymnast. You're too young to be President. You're just not good enough to be a champion athlete. The dreams fade and reality weighs us all down. Reality hurts. It also bites (couldn't resist). People succumb to reality and give up on their dreams. My own mama probably still dreams of opening a daycare center. It's been a dream of hers since I was little. Lord willing, I will help her accomplish that before she leaves this earth. I have chosen not totally accept reality or conventional wisdom. I have begun an independent film career. I have also begun to write poetry again. And, don't laugh, some hip-hop songs. Geeks can rap, too! I know that there is a possibility that I may never become famous. I try not to think about it, though. My boy Rod told me that even at 75, if he never became a famous director, he'd still be sneaking around the city, filming when he could. Maybe I'm Peter Pan, but if growing up means settling for a mundane life, I'll remain a lost boy. I would love to get paid, but right now I love the creative process, the thrill of creating something from scratch, whether poetry, rap, or a character. I do these things for the love and I pray that the money will follow. I now listen to the creative voice in my head...even when it wakes me up at 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning. Hey, I have to keep creating. I'm obsessed with it now. I was antsy and restless at my family reunion because I wanted to be creating something. I also have to admit, I'm a bit of a ham. I love the accolades and applause and making people laugh. I am an entertainer. Markus the Entertainer...okay, that one's taken. Maybe Markus the Party Starter! Okay, I'll work on it. The point is that I am in a good creative space and even when I'm frustrated, I feel so alive. God and the arts are the only things that currently take me on a natural high (Hugs not drugs, kids). In closing, listen to your voice, make allowances for your passion, lose a little sleep but don't get delirious, get out of your way, and above all else, FORGET GRAVITY. I mean, in the metaphorical sense. Don't go jumping off buildings or anything. Be easy, dear readers. Be easy, but be adventurous!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home