Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Dash

I didn't film last night, so I thought I'd write about something that is on my mind. I think about life quite often because, well, I'm alive (heh heh). When people die, their gravestone reads like: Here lies John Doe 1950-2005. But that only gives you the stopping and starting point. That dash in between your birth year and death year is real life to me. Your first steps are the dash. Riding a bicycle for the first time:the dash. Your first day of school, the first person you kissed, and your high school graduation are all personified by the dash. I think most people, when they really think about it, want to do something within the dash. They want to be remembered and loved by someone, or at the very least, they want to leave this world in better shape than it was when they left it. Some may even want to leave a legacy. I have a strong desire to leave a legacy and to touch people with my artistic gifts. I also always felt that I was meant to do something different, that I was destined to do something great. Admittedly, I do suffer from delusions of grandeur, but I have always had a desire to do something grand. As a child, I fantasized about being an astronaut, then a lawyer, rapper, wrestler, comic book writer, then film director (maybe someday), and radio personality. Somewhere, in the back of my mind, I felt that I had to do something that was not run-of-the-mill. Most of my dreams, except space travel, involved words or performance. So, it's not really a choice. It's just in me. I have to listen to the voice inside me. I try to ignore it, but then the voice gets louder. Now, it's to the point where I have to get these thoughts out because they keep coming back to me. They come in the middle of the night, while I'm at work, while I'm watching TV. I used to write things down more often, but lately I've been lazy. I still see things or get inspired to write based on conversations I've had. So now, I write to get free. That's how I do something with the dash. So, to sum up my babbling, don't just survive, don't just get through life, live it! Live life to the fullest. Don't be afraid to take chance within reason, and don't consign yourself to a lifetime of what-ifs. I hate what-ifs. So, build your legacy, make your mark, and for God's sake, try to make positive contributions to this mudball that we call Earth. God bless you and as always, be easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home