Thursday, January 19, 2006

Those Crazy Actor Friends of Mine

Last night, I ventured out to the Media Co-op where an Improv Workshop was taking place. The teachers were Arnold Edwards II (director, Third Wheel Date), Travis Stone (Ray, Delusions), Jon Sparks (Delusions, Slow Down You're Dating Too Fast) and Forrest Pruett (Forty Shades of Blue, Delusions). Other people taking the class were Lavita Brooks (What Goes Around, Grim Sweeper), Tiffany Pemberton (Delusions, Slow Down), Sarah Ewell (Shutter, Delusions), Christin Ackerman (Delusions, Chosen), Lina Fritsche (Delusions, Slow Down), Kim Keller (The Song, Singing Christmas Tree), Carole Rowland (Slow Down, Mail Call), and several other talented actors. My fellow Fayette County native Dayna Hinkel was in the house as well. We started off with an exercise where everybody got on stage and one person started a story and others had to finish it. It was crazy. Then, we had to do a story in our best British accent. That was a little tricky. Then, we did improv skits. Luckily, I was paired up with Tiffany, but I felt that I struggled. After our break, we played a game called Freeze. Freeze is where two people are given a scene to act out until someone yells "Freeze!" That person then taps one of those people and takes their place. The setting and characters are supposed to change totally. I froze Joseph B. Smith (Delusions, Slow Down) and this newcomer to the scene named Dee. I became a cop interrogating Dee as a criminal. Dee was tough. He took control of the scene. I was a little flustered. Then, Kim froze us, took Dee's place, and it became a skit about her giving me a rectal exam. It was funny, and no, she didn't really put her hand there. C'mon, now, people, that's just nasty. It was a cool class. We'll do it again next week, and then Red West's classes should resume in February. Shout out to Terry Dee Draper(Just the Two of Us, Divine Manpulation of the Threads) for providing security. Also, shout out to the woman who said she read my blog and feels like she knows me. I did not catch your name, but I was honored by the compliment. Afterwards, Joe, Lina, Forrest, and myself did karaoke at Moffat's. I performed "You'll Never Find" in honor of Lou Rawls' recent passing. I didn't know the words as well as I thought I did. Later, I did Bob Marley's "No Woman, No Cry". I think my Jamaican chants made it better. My last song of the night was the oft-requested Joe and I performing Snoop Dogg and Dre's "Nuttin' But a G Thang". We always get the crowd with that one. Shot out to Candace, a friend of my acting crew. We had too much fun making fun of some bar patrons. Let's just say that screenwriters would give their left arm for the cast of characters we had in there that night. I also saw pictures of 18-year old Forrest that were priceless. Hey, Forrest, you were into those tight jeans, huh? Joe's pictures were funny, too. I am tired and sore today, but darnit, I had fun last night. I may karaoke at Flashbacks tonight if Mr. Nikita doesn't require my services. Be easy, readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home