Friday, August 04, 2006

From the Ashes: My Overlooked Screenings

Let's start with the screening of Dollars and Signs at the Brooks Museum. When I first arrived, it seemed to be the "upper-crust" crowd. I was a little uneasy in my black t-shirt with the red, yellow, and green lion on it with camouflage Nikes, but I had to be me. The Elvis impersonator (and the wine) seemed to draw a big crowd. I like the King as much as the next fella, but I felt like this guy was gonna do everys song. I was a little tired of "The King" (Elvis fans, please don't send me hatemail or hold candlelight vigils outside my house). Half the crowd dispersed when the action shifted outside for a performance from the Beale Street Flippers. Nice kids, cool act. That lasted all of ten minutes, and by the time we got to the actual screening, a fourth of the original crowd was there. I did see Lisa Sanchez (Slow Down You're Dating Too Fast, Divine Manipulations) and one other cast member. Nicki Newburger, who assisted director Brandon Hutchison, was there. Brandon was not, because he is in Chicago teaching young kids filmmaking. Very admirable. Once again, my part did not get laughs, but I liked it! I just felt a sense of finality. I feel like the film has run its course. It has had five screenings in Memphis. I appreciate it for what it was. I enjoyed my time on set. I wish everyone involved in that film the best in their future endeavors.

Last night was another disappointment. The screening of Just the Two of Us had, like, twelve to fifteen people in attendance. Director/star Keenon Nikita (The Poor and Hungry), Director of Photography Rod Pitts (www.pittstopproductions.com), Travis Stone (Ray, Delusions) myself, Walker Morris II and his mother, Ann Banks, and a few of the Bop Dancers from a scene were the only crew in attendance. Hopefully, we'll get selected by Indie Memphis. I purchased the DVD. Shotout to Shawn Carter for showing up. She is a friend of Dog Day Entertainment. Unfortunately, she is also a fan of some rap groups that I think are ignorant, but I'll try not to hold that against her...much.

I am disappointed, but my spirit is not broken. If anything, I feel more committed than I have in a long time. I have battled burnout and frustration this year, and I have thought about quitting the acting game. Of course, my next thought is what will I do with myself? I still feel good when I see my name on www.imdb.com, or when I see a trailer, and I love question and answer sessions and addressing fans afterwards. This has always been in me. I've always been a character, and I was blessed with the gift of gab. I've always been a performer. It's a part of my genetic makeup. To paraphrase Jay-Z, I can't leave acting alone, the game needs me! I will rise from the ashes of this dissapointment like a phoenix. I will fly. I will rise above the disappointment and adversity. I believe that I am a darn good actor. To quit now would be a disservice to myself. I will come back even harder. I will not lose. I am one of the most captivating, electrifying entertainers in the Memphis independent film game today. If I may be arrogant, I think that I am the best thing to happen to the motion picture industry since the invention of talking movies. I am King Indie. This is my city. Roll with the King, or get rolled over. I have a chip on my shoulder, and a point to prove. Prepare for the takeover. You've been warned. Be easy, readers.

1 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The game does need you, Marcus! Your scene in "Eat" is the bomb. You'll definitely get laughs come October.

-Chris McCoy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home