Monday, January 22, 2007

Movies, Theatre, and Karaoke: The Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday:

I got off work, napped, got up, and I watched Children of Men. Clive Owen gave a solid performance as a guy charged with protecting the mother of the first baby born in the world in 18 years. It was set in Britain, but by this time, Britain looked like Beirut. All refugees, or "fugees" were sent into concentration camps or locked in cages on the sidewalk. Very bleak and violent film. Kudos also to Julianne Moore, Michael Caine, and Chiwetel Ejiofor (Serenity, Inside Man) for solid performances.

Saturday:

I got off work, went to the comic book store and other stores, and that night I saw Last of the Red Hot Lovers at the Hattiloo Theatre. Shout out to Monette McLin, an actress that I know, and Lisa Sanchez (Dollars and Signs, Slow Down You're Dating Too Fast) for good performances. The play follows a middle-aged man who keeps trying to have an affair with his wife, but there are always complications involving his potential mistresses. Interesting play, and if you've never seen it or read it, it is very unpredictable.

Sunday:

I had to visit my good friend Denna Greer (What Goes Around), who was taking up money for Girl Scout cookies for her niece, Joy. Markus is for the kids...sometimes. After that, I met up with Rod Pitts and we checked out The Last King of Scotland, the movie about the rise and fall of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin. Idi Amin was not covered in my Fayette County schools elementary or high school education. That fool was crazy!!! Forrest Whitaker deserves an Oscar right now!!! Kerry Washington (Ray, Save the Last Dance) and Gillian Anderson (X-Files) also gave solid performances.

After that, I went to Jordan's for some more karaoke fun!! I started out with Aerosmith's "Jaded"....I kinda knew the words. Next, ome of my friends begged until I gave in and performed New Kids On the Block's "The Right Stuff", yes, I do the dance, I have to!!! Next, it became an R&B showdown. A couple performed Earth Wind and Fire's "September", I responded with New Edition's "Can You Stand the Rain". Next, I performed Cameo's "Word Up". Someone performed Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative". I came back with "She's a Bad Mama Jama". Next, I went country and performed David Allan Coe's "You Never Even Called Me By My Name". Then, I performed Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl". My voice cracked, and I couldn't hit those high notes. I bounced back with Five for Fighting's "Superman". Then, I sang Prince's "Raspberry Beret". My last song was Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down". Yeah, I like a lot of different genres of music. It was cool. I had fun. I like performing, whether it's three or three hundred people. Be easy, readers!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home