Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Late-Night Filming

Last night, I played a thief in Jonathan Postal's student film. He's getting a Masters from the Memphis College of Art. He paid for my meal at the Lamplighter Inn, which was real cool. I hung out there with the bartender and her brother. Her brother and I were watching Monday Night Raw. Later, Jonathan and the crew arrived. One guy, Dwayne, met me briefly at a blogger bash. Fortunately, he remembered that I act and recommended me for the part. Thank you, sir!!! Dwayne (forgive me if I am misspelling it) and Louis were the crew, and they also attend Memphis College of Art. Jake is the young actor that played the kid. We ran lines and chitchatted. He seemed like a cool guy. I hope he keeps acting. I had to light a cigarette with one hand. I don't smoke, and I don't really handle lighters. It took me a few takes (and several cigarettes) to get it right. I appreciate everyone's patience. We kept having to stop because of passing cars, but we eventually wrapped. Jonathan let me keep the short-sleeved denim shirt that I wore. It's not really my style, but you can never have too many wardrobe choices in the indie film game. Lord knows, I need more clothing without logos, anyway.

I also needed the outlet because I received some bad news yesterday. My great-uncle Willie Herman passed. I have mixed emotions. I will miss him, but I am glad that he is not suffering anymore. He has been in and out of the hospital. The gray-haired, wise-cracking uncle that I once knew had been replaced by a very sick man. I didn't even recognize him at Christmas last year. I believe that he is in heaven now. Pray for my family, in particular my great-aunt Velma. I believe that this was her last living brother. Part of me wanted to go over there last night, but I felt like I needed to go ahead and work on this film. I need a few days to wrap my head around this before I am around my family.


Plug Time!!

Dollars and Signs screening in Chicago tomorrow!!

MEET THE FILMMAKERS: Double Feature (Local)Facets Cinémathèque – Wednesday, 7pm / 9pm IFP and Facets present a chance to get a first look at two new movies and their Chicago-based makers. First up: DOLLARS AND SIGNS, a movie that pitches an ugly fit between a Memphis businessman and two anti-corporate activists, presented by writer-director Brandon Hutchinson; followed by Marc Buhmann's DEAD IN THE WATER, a suspenseful genre piece set in one of the most beloved horror backdrops: a remote cabin on a lake. The screening is FREE for IFP and Facets members, and cheap for all others. CLMore info at http://www.facets.org/.

The Facets Cinémathèque is located at 1517 W. Fullerton Ave. in Chicago. For
more information on films playing in the Cinémathèque, please call 773-281-4114.


Lil' Film Fest 7: Rhymes with Elvis

We're proud to announce "Li'l Film fest 7: Rhymes with Pelvis." This quarter we will be featuring a variety of short films focusing on...(shhh)...Elvis. We'll be showing the works of many festival veterans as well as some newcomers. So, come on out and show your support for local filmmakers!
Li'l Film Fest is a quarterly, theme-based film festival, focusing on highlighting our local talent while showcasing interesting happenings around town. Our goal is to encourage and inspire Memphis filmmakers while engaging a local audience in order to strengthen our artistic community. For more info (and to watch past films) visit: http://m1e.net/c?73510629-Og4nuh4hffRB2%402733997-nOcI9m7zcXkuI.
The Short & Sweet:
Theme: Rhymes With Pelvis
Duration: 5 minutes or less
Festival Date: September 22, 2007 / 2pmFestival
Location: Media Co-Op (1000 S. Cooper), located in the basement of First Congregational Presbyterian Church.

Be easy, readers!!!

1 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Dwayne Butcher said...

yeah you spelled my name right. i look forward to seeing the finished product.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home