Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Barbecue and Independents...Films, that is: The Super-Patriotic Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday:

I rehearsed my scene in Tricks, the next project for filmmaker DeaAra Lewis. I play Chester, a guy who is requesting a dance from a prostitute (Mom must be so proud). I chilled with DeaAra, her sister Deneka (also in the movie), the woman playing the "dancer" and the assistant director. We rehearsed, tripped out, and talked about Michael Jackson and the BET awards.

Saturday:

I went to a casting call for the major motion picture My Blueberry Nights. I ran into a cast member from Tricks. I also ran into a fellow Red West classmate named Brandon. He says I need to come back to class. I told him I plan to, I've just been busy with films.

Later, I went over the house of rapper/producer Kevin Yungblood aka Ptah Maximus (www.myspace.com/ptahmaximus) and I interviewed rapper Scott Lynn (www.myspace.com/brosoundzguudx) for his new album, Bro. Scott X Presents BroSoundzGuud: At it Again. It was informal, but it was good to see the brother. I also ran into Atiba and Derelick from MOS (www.myspace.com/mosmemphis), Jason "Da Hater" Harris (www.myspace.com/kontrastonline), and Cosmo (www.myspace.com/cosmomusic). It was good to see my people working on music. It's a blessing to be surrounded by talented people. It makes me work harder.

Later, "Angry" Nick Jones, Denna Greer (What Goes Around), Paul "P-Dub" West, Donovan, Bryan Newcomb (Just the Two of Us, Divine Manipulation of the Threads), and I saw Nacho Libre, Jack Black's new film. It was directed by Jared Hess, who directed Napoleon Dynamite. It was funny and touching. After that, we ate at Chili's and I called it a night.

Sunday:

I went to Baskin Robbin's, then to Jordan's on Stage Road (shameless plug) for karaoke. I performed "You Rock My World" by Michael Jackson, "Why Georgia" by John Mayer, "Sunday Morning" by Maroon 5, and "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Afterwards, I saw Akeelah and the Bee. It was about a girl that made it to the National Spelling Bee. Lawrence Fishburne and Angela Bassett were in the movie, and Akeelah (Keke Plamer) is a promising young actress. She could go far in the acting game. I could relate to winning spelling bees and getting teased (See my last three years of elementary school).

Monday:

I stayed in the house until 6 PM. Then, I got some food and went to Jordan's. I performed Your Body is a Wonderland by John Mayer and Rock With You by Michael Jackson. I paid 5 and entered the karaoke contest. I performed Lynrd Skynrd's Sweet Home Alabama. It was okay. My rendition of Beautiful by James Blunt was better. I didn't win, though. Joe Smith (Delusions, Almost Made) was bartending and Lina Fritsche (Curbside Confessions) was also there. She sang Sarah Machlachlan's "Adia" and some Evanescence. I came back after the contest and wowed them with the Georgia Satellites' "Keep Your Hands to Yourself".

Tuesday:

I joined Paul Briggs' family in eating barbecue at Putt-Putt. I came, I ate, I left.

Wednesday:

Today, I redid my voiceovers for Vineet Thapar's film. Vineet is always good at coaching and getting a good vocal performance out of me. It was cool, it was fun.

I still don't know when I'm actually filming again, but sometimes you have to do the grunt work until you get to shine again. Be easy, readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home